Tuesday, June 07, 2016

The Main Reason(s) Why There Are Not Many Inventors In Nigeria

ANCIENT: The locally fabricated pressing iron which was once widely used in southwest Nigeria (and in other parts of Africa to date) was a vital part of traditional tailors’ tool of trade; it was powered by heat from burning charcoal lit inside the belly. Image credit - Michael Kyewalabye‎ (Uganda) Arsenal fans Group-Facebook 
By Kenneth Nwachinemelu David-Okafor

Please let me pointedly ask if you are following the ongoing serialization of the blog post "How to Become a Successful Inventor in Nigeria"?

I hope you are following this series as it represents one of the most interesting treatise on NAIJAGRAPHITTI BLOG thus far.

IF NOT, you may join in right after reading this with the next links (CLICK HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE & HERE).

In this present post I thought I should take a break and share telling stories, to give my take on the wide spread recurrence of dearth of inventive thinking among Nigerians, from a perspective formed from lived experiences and bitsy incidences of life which many Nigerians and other Africans can relate to. Thus I am going to attempt to illustrate the story of Nigeria’s underrepresentation on the Hall of Fame of inventive nations with anecdotal vignettes from my childhood to adulthood and substantiate how I came to my own conclusions long before I could back up my opinion with hard facts. The stories, by their morals and by inference, capture cause and effect as they paint vivid pictures as clearly as data.

In the absence of any systematic study, we are at liberty to use anecdotal evidence; Mpofu et al. (2006) noted "anecdotal reports are an important source of information on sociocultural practices that are under researched, or from settings that are underrepresented in the literature" (Mpofu et al., 2006 p.477).

The first vignette I would share out of four is drawn the period covering ten to fifteen years as I grew up in southwest Nigeria, around (at one point) and inside (at another point) a university community.

The first vignette I would share out of four is drawn the period covering ten to fifteen years as I grew up in southwest Nigeria, around (at one point) and inside (at another point) a university community.

CONTINUE READING HERE

No comments :

Post a Comment